Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Know Jesus- Know Peace

As for God, His way is  perfect; The Word of the Lord is proven:He is a shield to all who trust him.  2 Samuel 22:31

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. Proverbs 3:5

Let all those rejoice who put their trust in you; Let them shout for joy; because you defend them; Let those also who love your name be joyful in you, for you, O Lord will bless the righteous; with favor you will surround him as with a shield.  Psalms 5:11, 12

It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man. Psalms 118:8

Let him trust in the name of the Lord and rely upon his God.  Isaiah 50:10

Lately I've been thinking about trusting God.  These verses all tell us good things about trusting God.  A clearer way to say it  is that when you trust in God you are resting in Him, in who He is and in what He says in the Word and to your heart.  As we learn to know how awesome and mighty God is and than realize that He loves each of us, personally  We can begin to learn to trust and rest in Him.  We can look at our problems, situations, challenges and get overwhelmed or we can see who God is and learn to trust and find a peaceful resting place.  

I don't know about you but I tend to worry.  Even though I have been striving to stop.  Though I found a verse that said it was a sin.  My thoughts, like a dog chasing it's tail, go round and round stressing me out.  This is so the opposite of resting, trusting.  And what a denial of what I believe.  I do believe in God I do believe in the Bible and this striving, wringing of my hands, this negativity is just wrong!  And tiring.  But trusting in Jesus.  Trusting in Father God.  That's where the peace is.  There is the rest I desire.   

I have heard the catchy phrase:  Know Jesus-Know Peace  Sounds simple, right?  But it's a journey.  Just like I know my husband better and better because I've spent time with him.  I've talked with him and shared my life with him.  I've heard his ideas and dreams.   It's the same with the Lord.  Spend time praying  reading the Bible, studying it and learning more about who He is and as we do that we will "know Him".  and we will "know peace" .  

What does this look like in real life?  Well for instance:  I had a problem with a child on my bus.  It was so frustrating.  I decided to ask the Lord to help me with this.  He gave me an ideal to try.  It worked!   As this child was unruly I would step back and whisper a "Help me Lord". I would feel peaceful and an ideal would come to me, what to say or what to do. I would then do what I felt nudged to do.  I was able to trust in Him to help me and I knew peace in that difficult situation.  

Another picture of what trusting God, resting in God is like is this.  Imagine floating on water in a pool.  You have to 'trust' the water to hold you up.  You have to "rest" on the top of the water.  If you strive or struggle, down you will go splashing, getting water in your mouth.   You wont be able to float if you don't trust.   We have to lay back in the word of God.  We have to trust in who He is to hold us up.   

This is just a few of my thoughts on this subject.  I've in no way exhausted this subject but I hope I've got you thinking.  

No comments:

Post a Comment