Saturday, July 18, 2015

Sweets, Swimming and Scriptures







Pancakes!

 YUM!!  Who invented them?

 Cake for breakfast. 

What a great idea!

And you can get away with it! If you had asked your mom for cake for breakfast when you were young, she would have said quickly,
NO! 
But pancakes?  Oh, now that was different.  Perfectly acceptable.  No problem.  

The thing is though, have you ever noticed that in no time at all,  you are hungry again? Sweets are sweet and yummy and delish but they don't really nourish you, sustain you. Before you know it you are empty, needing more food.  



We all need what will sustain us.  Not just sweets but real food.  That which will keep us going physically.  But what about spiritually? Are you nourished spiritually?  And do you know where to get spiritual nutrition?  What would that be?  What is the best spiritual food for us ??


Image result for free image of Bible\



The Bible.  The Word.  Scripture.

For years I wanted to read my Bible.  Really! I wanted to be a student of it.  And I would hit and miss at it.  I would drop a few drops on my parched spirit.  But I never dove in and swam in it.  Never emerged myself in the Word, until well up into my adult life.  I'm so glad and I'm learning new things all the time.

****************************************************************************

Image result for free image of a school pool in hamtramck
Copernicus Jr. High School (later Hamtramck High)


Years ago, when I was a teen I went to Copernicus Jr. High in Hamtramck, Michigan. It was built when education was well rounded and Henry Ford was influencing culture in the Detroit area. So it had a full Olympic sized pool, kind of like this.  For half the year you had gym class and the other semester you had swimming class. No choice.  Everyone had to take it. So you learned to swim in spite of your doubts and fears.  It was a good experience.  Something that always served me well.




Just like I had to get in and get wet to learn to swim.  We need to jump into God's Word and let it wash us, soak us, hold us up, challenge us.  So many people are starving for real spiritual nutrition and don't even know it.  They just know they don't feel well, up to par.  Something feels off.  And yes, something is off.  You need to hang out in the book and get to know the author and finisher of your faith.  Get to know the one who created you.  Who has a good plan for your life.  Memorize the Word and get it down deep inside.

How do I know?  I jumped in and got wet and found deep truths inside.  Truths that changed my life and kept me from drowning.  The same truths that have helped others.  It will do the same for you.   Jump into the Word, today.  The water is fine.  I think you won't be sorry you did. Say a little prayer and ask the Lord to help you to understand what you are reading.  He is our teacher, you know.  

“A bible that’s falling apart usually belongs to someone who isn’t.” -Charles Spurgeon        -Charles Spurgeon

“A bible that’s falling apart usually belongs to someone who isn’t.” -Charles Spurgeon 

No comments:

Post a Comment