Monday, June 15, 2015

Music..some thoughts running through my head...

Image result for free picture of someone leading music at church

Recently there was some discussion that I came across about music and church.  I know, a hot topic at best.  But I've been thinking about it and a couple of things come to mind.  And I'm trying to write this in love but it's hard.  First, the flesh in me wants to say, "who cares what you think" but that's not nice.  But, maybe it's true.  Who says it's okay for others to judge my worship?  Or if I dance at church or if we sing the same song a gazillion times?   And by the way, why aren't you worshiping?  Don't say your whole thoughts are on Him if you can still look around and judge how others are worshiping.

But that's my flesh.  Let me try and put it in a kinder way:  I dance at church occasionally as I feel the spirit leads me.  I'm worshiping!   And as a person who has a hard time focusing I wonder if that is why the Holy Spirit leads the music pastor to sing the same thing over and over.  People like me can finally get all the thoughts from life out of our heads and can focus on worshiping God.  Also when I finally can focus I'm swept away, amazed at Him.  I get just a glimpse of his glory and I'm awestruck!  How can I not want to linger on the words that either praise him or tell of him or wonder at him?  I mean the God of the Universe holds my hand.  He is aware of ME.  If that doesn't move you, you need to have a talk with him, something is off.  Our relationship with him is a love affair.  We are lovesick.  We want to sing to him and of him.  We want to lavish praise on him.  If you see that as me getting worked up. Sorry.  You are wrong.  

Image result for free picture of someone leading music in church

As I tried to put emotions aside and examine this dilemma in black and white, a thought came to me. Maybe, just maybe it comes down to the fact that we are all different.  I love to worship one way.  You love to worship another.  And maybe there are others who love to worship a bunch of other ways.  Just like cooking or raising kids.  There are some basics but than we each do it differently. Maybe you like meat and potatoes cooking , maybe Suzy likes vegetarian cooking, or Martha is a gourmet chef and Jennifer just wants to feed her hungry crew.  In music if the message is true.  The basics are right.  Why do you have to have an opinion?  Especially if it's not your church?  Just like one family lives and breathes sports, another is into the arts.  Another is on the lake or camping every chance they get.  And another likes to stay home.  If they are loving their family and taking care of them what business is it of ours to tell them they are wrong?  We are all wired differently.  Let's give grace and mercy. Seriously, we are all so different.  How could the music pastor/leader please everyone?

Image result for free picture of churches

I have worked and attended many churches as we have moved often.  Small, large and in between.  I love my church now because of a few things.  They preach the Word!  We have people being saved. More than any church I have attended.  We are a family of believers doing life together.  We aren't perfect by no means but our focus is on God: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.  What more can you ask for in a church?  If your church has the basics right, don't question every move the leaders make. Pray if you don't like something. Pray hard.  But be ready, you might be the one that changes.

Image result for free picture of someone leading music in church

Music.. not everyone will like every song, every time.  SO WHAT?    If you worship at home to the music you prefer, you can worship at church even if it's not your favorite type of music.  Listen to the words, focus on HIM.

Last thought:  Let's quit being critical and let's love people and be about the most important thing: seeing people get saved and helping them grow as we ourselves grow.

Image result for free picture of churches

(Stepping down off my soapbox)      

No comments:

Post a Comment