Saturday, March 15, 2014

Books, Books, Books

Books!!  I adore books!  They have been a constant companion to me through the years.  I have been known to hang with them at bookstores, at libraries and at home.  I have even read at red lights.  Oh and maybe while driving but don't hate.  You have probably texted and drove.  And if you haven't good for you!  You are awesome!

Sorry sidetracked.  This post is about books.  I have over the last few years went through a type of dessert in my book reading life.  I don't know what happened but I couldn't read.  Okay, I couldn't consume books like I used to.  I have been known to read 3 or 4 books a week.  Like eating food.. just eat 'um up.  But I have went through a dry spell where I have left books half finished.  Stopped mid read.  It was awful!!  Terrible!!  My identity was wrapped up in being a reader.  I think maybe it came about because of the internet.  At least I'm blaming that.  It couldn't be my age or anything.  Too much reading of blogs, facebook, emails etc.  But the good news.  I think I'm recovering.  I got a smart phone for Christmas and I have Kindle on it.

Kindle is awesome!  It has a ton of free books or you can buy books for it.  So I have finished
3 books in the last 2 weeks and am part way through a fourth one.  It is so handy.  Waiting in line?  Waiting for your hubby to come to the car?  Waiting in line to get the granddaughter from school? During a commercial?  Any where you have a few minutes you can get in some reading.  It rocks.  Also I have the Bible on it so I can read it more.  I highly recommend both.

But I have said all this to tell about these exciting books I have been reading:  Becoming Myself by Stasi Eldridge, When Goodly People do Ungodly Things by Beth Moore, and a Grace Livingston Hill novel..The Enchanted Barn.   Also I'm part way through Why We Eat Our Own by Michael Cheshire.
All are excellent, excellent books!!!

I will share some more about them in another post.  I would encourage women to especially read Becoming Myself.  What a life changing book.  Such healing!  

If you haven't put Kindle on your phone or computer, do.  It's free and might help you read more, which is always a good thing.  

Random thing I heard:  reading 20 minutes a day to a child raises their chances of academic success hugely.  It will make an unbelievable difference in their whole life!

No comments:

Post a Comment